Permission required: Local content
Before you begin, please note that your library must hold the necessary ownership rights, licenses, and/or permissions to upload and distribute titles through Local Content. If you have questions or doubts about rights to any title, the title should not be submitted through Local Content. When you add a title to Local Content, you will be asked to confirm that all such rights are in place. Please see the Local Content terms and conditions for more information.
Follow the steps below to add a Local Content title to your digital collection.
Note: You can only add or edit one title at a time.
- Choose Local content from the Admin drop-down menu.
- Select Add a title from the Local content homepage.
- Select Audiobook, ebook, or Video to continue.
- Select the format(s) for your title, which will appear as the title's "available formats" on your OverDrive website. The supported formats are:
- For audiobooks: MP3 only
- For ebooks: Adobe EPUB (and OverDrive Read), Open EPUB (and OverDrive Read), Adobe PDF, Open PDF
Note: EPUB titles that you submit through Local Content will also be made available to your library users in the OverDrive Read format.
- For video: Streaming video only
Note: Video titles will be made available to your library users in the streaming video format, but you must submit them through Local Content in MP4 format.
- Select Continue.
Once you select your format(s), fill out the following fields:
- Title: Enter your title here.
- Sort title: This field will fill in automatically, based on your entered title. You can edit it as needed.
- Subtitle: Enter your subtitle (if any) here.
- Series: If your title is part of a series, enter the series name here.
- Publisher: Any publisher(s) you've previously entered will appear in a drop-down menu. You can select one from the drop-down, or enter a new publisher.
- Subject(s): For audiobooks and ebooks, you'll first be prompted to select an "Audience," then select at least one subject. For videos, select at least one subject.
- Language(s): Enter the language(s) for your title.
- Short description: This description will accompany the title on your OverDrive website.
- Cover image: Click Browse to upload a cover image.
- Thumbnail image: Click Browse to upload a thumbnail image.
- DRM: Note that the DRM settings are predetermined for the MP3 format.
- Geographic rights: Enter the country or countries where you have rights to publish this title.
- Ready for lending date: Enter the date that you'd like the title to appear on your OverDrive website.
Note: All files for your title must be processed by OverDrive before the title can go live. If you enter today's date as your "Ready for lending date," the title will appear on your OverDrive website as soon as all associated files have been processed.
- Creator(s): Add as many creators as you'd like (e.g. author, editor, translator, illustrator, etc.) by clicking the + Add another button.
- Identifier(s): Select and enter an identifier type (e.g. ISBN) for your title.
Note: You can save your work and return later by selecting the Save work in my queue button.
- When you're ready to submit the Local Content form, click the Set live once all files are processed button. Your title will be published to your OverDrive website as soon as OverDrive has processed all associated files.